FAQs from students
1. How can I become a student at A Better Vietnam (ABVN)?
To become a student at ABVN, you have to first register on the website of ABVN. After that, you need to fill in the application form which ABVN releases to recruit more students. You will have to pass an interview before officially becoming a student at ABVN.
2. What are the requirements for being an ABVN student?
If your age is from 16 to 25, you can apply to become an ABVN student. ABVN wants to give priority to those who are living in remote areas or are having difficulties in approaching English.
The level of English is required from Lower-Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate. During your interview, we will evaluate your skills and let you know if you are eligible to study or not.
3. Is it free to study English at ABVN?
Once you become a student at ABVN, you can study English for free for six months as long as you follow our regulations. You will be allowed to sign up for up to 2 lessons per week with 2 different teachers.
After 6 months, if you would like to continue to study with ABVN, you can pay a fee to contribute to the admin fee and to support our project. It’s 300.000 VND/10 lessons and you will be able to study for 6 more months.
4. Do I just enroll in the sessions according to my free time?
You need to pay attention to the available time that the teachers have set and enroll in that session if no one does yet.
5. How long does each lesson last and how many students participate in each lesson?
It's up to the volunteer teachers, but normally each lesson lasts from 30 minutes to nearly an hour.
Most of the lessons are one-on-one, but there are also multi-student lessons that you can register for.
6. Where do the teachers come from?
Our teachers are mostly from English-speaking countries such as the US, UK, and Australia. We also have guest teachers from other countries who have fluent English skills.
7. Do teachers at ABVN only help in speaking skills?
Each teacher has their own teaching plan and depending on what each student needs to improve, they can adjust their teaching method. You can totally enhance all four English skills with our enthusiastic teachers.
FAQs from teachers
1. Do I have to be a professional teacher or have training in TESL (teaching English as a second language) to volunteer for A Better Vietnam (ABVN)?
No, a good command of the English language is sufficient. If you are a native English speaker, you are qualified to join us.
2. Do I need to know how to speak Vietnamese to volunteer with ABVN?
All students have a basic level of communication in English. So being able to speak Vietnamese is not required.
3. Do ABVN students already know how to read, write, and speak English? How well?
To become ABVN students, applicants have to get through an application process including a short interview to test their English skills. Only students who can basically communicate with native speakers and have a strong passion to master the language are accepted.
4. Is there a curriculum for me to follow? How will I know what to teach the ABVN students?
We have prepared discussion topics for you to support your teaching, or else, you can develop your own teaching materials as you wish. Besides, there will be a mentor to guide you through teaching or teaching materials in the first month if you need.
5. What is the age range and educational background of ABVN students?
The age of students is from 16 to 25 and the level of English is required from Lower-Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate. Most of them are living in remote areas or are having difficulties in approaching English.
6. How much of a time commitment would be required if I become a volunteer teacher with ABVN?
Your availability is entirely up to you. You can teach as often or as little as you like.
7. Why should I become a volunteer teacher?
ABVN is a social project. You will not have any financial benefits but mental health ones. Working as a volunteer teacher at ABVN, you can help the Vietnamese youth to enhance their English and have a better future.
8. What are the rewards/benefits of becoming a volunteer teacher at ABVN?
The benefits that a teacher at ABVN can achieve, such as:
- Teachers are those who want to spend free time to transmit their knowledge and experiences to young people which help them to improve themselves, have a better future.
- A Better Vietnam teachers always receive warm welcome from members and students of the project when they come to Vietnam, we are always willing to become your tour guide and share about the culture, places, and cuisine here;
- A Better Vietnam teachers are always respected and cherished by our students with your contribution.